Monday, June 11, 2007

I'm Sorry


I'm usually sooo good at restaurants but today I was upset and I just couldn't keep my feelings pent up any longer. I'm sorry for making my mother crazy in Pho Pasteur; her favorite restaurant in Chinatown. She was bouncing me, rocking me, she even tried to feed me and I was still inconsolable. I'm sorry for making my father look like a baby killer. He took me outside the restaurant to the loud busy street thinking it would calm me down. Instead I screamed louder. Those little old asian ladies with their shopping bags gave my father a stern look as they passed. Then they turned around and sneered at him again once they were a few yards ahead. My mother, unable to eat her lunch until my father took me outside, gulped down her food. The waiter went AWOL and she sat there trying to get a box for her uneaten food and bill because my father had now had enough of me. She also realized she couldn't pay for the food because when my father took me outside, he had her wallet.

For the first time my parents learned what it must have been like for our friends when they picked up their second daughter in China. Kevin was trying to give his wife some needed nap time by taking their screeching new daughter for a walk, away from the hotel. He tried to eat his lunch in an outdoor cafe as the little one continued to scream and cry. He said that everyone looked at him as if they were thinking...."that American must have stolen that baby!"

I eventually cried myself to sleep by the time my mother finally got the waiter's and my father's attention. I guess I was just tired.....that's all.

1 comment:

Bifferoo said...

Ah. The "inconsolable infant in a nice restaurant" gambit. Well played Simone. Well played.